There is nothing worse than cold, wet feet. Well maybe there actually is, but cold, wet feet are avoidable with the right boot — and socks. But finding the warmest and best work boots for around your farm or ranch around isn’t always easy. We want boots that are going to be waterproof, of course, but also be comfortable over the long haul (think 12-hour days). Fleece liners and other features to keep our feet warm are great, but the material also has to be breathable. It makes no sense to keep out snow and slush just for your feet to get drenched in sweat.
And did we mention durability? A pair of boots that break down in just one season are not worth your money. Can you imagine if they break down mid-season, and you’re out there in the January snow trying to break in a new pair? It doesn’t sound like fun, and it’s something a good pair of work boots can help you avoid.
We used personal experience and received expert recommendations from the hard-working Women in Agriculture Facebook group to come up with a list of the warmest and best work boots for women. They include neoprene boots and other tall work boots that are built to keep you happy in the harshest temps!
Here they are, updated for 2022 and listed in no particular order.
Read more details on each pair below, as well as some of the promising things people have to say about them. We hope that you find boots that work for you!
LaCrosse Women’s Alpha Thermal Work Boot
The Alpha Thermal keeps feet warm with 7mm of insulating neoprene and an extra plush fleece lining. Built for comfort and durability, these boots plow through snow, sleet, slush, ice and whatever else is in your wintery path. These 100% neoprene boots have rubber soles with removable insoles. They also have textured finger grips and an angled top band so you can easily grab hold and pull them on, even when wearing gloves or mittens.
- LaCrosse is my go-to boot for irrigating fields in the summer because the fit is perfect and quality is great. But now winter is here with all its cold and snow and I needed new snow boots. Again I chose LaCrosse for the fit, the quality, and the price. I’m 61 years old and have had lots of winter boots, but these are the BEST because I can slip them on and off easily with no laces or buckles to fight with. The width is just right with no rubbing on my toes or heels. And the thermal warmth is wonderful as I shovel decks and driveways.
- Love these boots! They keep my feet warm in -16 degree weather shoveling 20 inches of snow. Definitely recommend these over Mucks. True to size.
- Love love these boots! These fit perfectly and don’t rub and cause chafing!!! Definitely recommend!
Note: We did a long and detailed review of the men’s version of a similar LaCrosse Alpha boot. You can read that review here.
Sorel Women’s Caribou Boot
Sorel’s 100% waterproof full-grain and suede boot has rubber soles, which feature snow boot waterproof-leather with over 700 reviews, these are sure to keep your feet warm. These were the number one recommended boot in the Women in Agriculture Facebook group.
- This is my second pair. I have a brown pair and now the gray. Love these!! I usually wear an 8.5 and I order an 8 and they fit perfect. Enough room for a thick sock. These boots are warm!
- For 39 years I’ve struggled with having frozen toes in Minnesota winters. For the first time in my life I’ve found a boot that keeps my feet warm enough without sweating. I won’t ever buy another brand of boots, I’m a fan for life!
- I have had a pair of this caribou boots for over 30 years. Lived through 3 sets of liners. If you keep the leather sealed (i use snowseal brand sealant) they will last for ever. They are triple stitched at junction points and have heavy cleats on the bottom for traction. They will outlast the cheap imitations. Today it is -10 with a -17 degree wind-chill….. Thank goodness for Sorels.
Bogs Women’s Crandall Tall Snow Boot
Bogs boots has many color options and are made with rubber sole with 100% textile, waterproof material and have rebound technology on the outsole to provide lasting comfort. The upper is made of 3mm Neo-Tech technology provides waterproof insulation and comfort. A durable rubber foot for added protection from the wet elements. DuraFresh bio-technology lining activates to fight odors for a fresher foot environment, while Max-Wick moves moisture away to keep your feet dry and fresh. And with the design of the upper, there’s probably no boot that’s easier to pull on when your scrambling to get out the door.
- The sole is firm and durable. The neoprene upper is soft stretchy and flexible. Not tight on my average size calves with skinny jeans. They also look nice on. Stylish enough to wear out Christmas shopping on a snowy day, or whatever. I know I’ll be wearing them out all over the place. Very comfortable. And the plush lining is nice too.
- These boots are great! They keep my feet completely warm and dry in 10F degree weather and snow. No cold toes with these boots. They look like rain boots but have a thin fuzzy/furry lining that is very warm. They are also really use to pull on and take off.
- Excellent quality, perfect fit, looks warm enough to wear through snowy winters in southwestern lower Michigan, as well during autumn rains. College granddaughter specified these boots, this maker, after trying on someone else’s pair; she is delighted. I was surprised delightedly at rapidity & quality of shipping
Muck Boots Arctic Ice Winter Boot
Featuring the most advanced Vibram outsole technology to date, Muck Arctic Ice Winter Boots are specifically engineered to deliver grip and performance on wet ice. The Arctic Grip Outsole pods and the multi-direction lug design provides sure footing on multi-surface terrain. The outsole of these women’s winter boots also features the Vibram Icetrek full base layer. From a comfort perspective, this boot is specially designed to match the contours of the female foot. The heavy-duty 8 mm neoprene in these women’s snow boots is 100 percent waterproof and possesses excellent heat-retention properties. The fleece lining ensures exceptional warmth and delivers a comfort rating of -60°F to 30°F.
- Awesome! I love these boots for cold weather. They keep my feet & lower legs warm and dry, all while being extremely comfortable! Well worth the price.
- WORTH EVERY PENNY! I cannot believe I have had cold feet for 30 years when these were available. Well built and comfortable, do run snug so size up if you’re a half size or wear thick socks.
- I walk three miles per day in these boots and they’re comfortable. I’ve taken detours through marshy areas and waded by the shore of a lake and my feet have stayed dry. They look nice and are extremely practical.
Skellerup Quatro Insulated Knee Boots
These unisex boots have a traditional hand-built construction, integrated 4mm SBR foam lining with a brushed polyester facing cloth for warmth, modern ankle-locking design, and a removable Quatro Comfort Insole with arch and heel support. The Quatros are 100 percent waterproof with their hand-laid premium rubber construction, and they’re snake resistant and scent free.
- These boots are the absolute best!!! I got the insulated version and they are not super warm but there is toe room to use a small chemical heat pack on cold mornings. I use them to walk in cold wet conditions on grass and other surfaces maybe 2-3 miles several times every week. They show zero wear after 18 months of use.
- Skellerups are the best boot for the money I’ve found. Can last at least two winters and are super comfortable to walk in and keep my arctic toes warm.
- I love these boots. They are comfortable, warm, and easy to walk in. I did have to get two US sizes smaller but if you know your Euro size, just order that.
Dryshod Arctic Storm Hi Insulated
These are 100 percent waterproof with 4-way stretch, pull down cuffs, and easy on/off pull tabs — plus they have seven layers of protection, including an EVA cold-blocking midsole. Also has double Achilles heel and instep reinforcement for comfort and protection. Layers of warmth in a slim profile hug your feet and keep you warm and comfortable all day. Rugged, comfortable design keeps feet dry with 100 percent waterproof protection from top to bottom. Each pair of boots is designed to be flexible and lightweight with superior maneuverability while providing warmth and protection.
- They are very comfortable to wear all-day in wetlands, snow, on hilly and rocky terrain. These boots have kept my feet warm down to 15 degrees Fahrenheit. We measured the outside temperature of the boots in cold weather and found they have excellent insulation. I wear rubber boots on wetland construction sites 6-days/week in the Fall and Winter seasons. These are the best rubber boots I have owned in my 40-years of wearing rubber boots.
- I have some Dryshod boots that I love! They are warmer and more comfortable than Muck boots.
- Best Winter Barn Chore Boots I’ve Ever Owned! Hands down! I burned my feet severely when I was a child and spent two weeks in a burn unit. I have always had trouble keeping my feet warm where I’ve had to purchase military winter boots in the past, and my feet would still get cold. After purchasing these boots my feet don’t get cold anymore at all doing winter horse chores. They are incredibly comfortable as well for being on your feet for a couple of hours.
This article was originally published December 6, 2018, and was updated January 2, 2021, and November 30, 2022.